Axon Moore are working in exclusive partnership with our client to recruit a Head of Commercial Finance. Our client is a large retailer with a superb growth record in recent years.
The Head of Commercial Finance will report directly to the CFO with a dotted line to the Commercial Director. You will manage a team of 6 in providing pro-active and value-adding insight across a variety of areas. From there, you will take their findings to a variety of senior stakeholders across the business to help form the commercial strategy of the organisation and then ensure its successful delivery.
• Ensuring that business performance is analysed and understood and that commercial areas such as buying / demand planning / merchandising are assisted in their decision making
• Working with merchandising team to understand and drive margin
• Partnering with senior management / directors in development and delivery of the annual plan with identification of key risks and opportunities throughout the cycle
• Appraisal of planned initiatives (such as entry to new markets, strategic link-ups) and ensuring that appropriate reporting and analysis can be done for those that go live
• Ongoing development of business intelligence tools to sharpen analysis and the speed at which it can be delivered
Key experience / skills / personality:
• Fully qualified (ACA / CIMA / ACCA) with strong commercial finance experience
• Retail background is highly desirable, though consideration could be given to other fast-paced areas such as FMCG
• Strong team management and development experience
• Strong experience of building and influencing the commercial plan is required, merely reporting results previously won’t be enough
• Strong personable character required – you’ll need to be capable of building senior level relationships and influencing people
• An “ideas person” would be desirable – it’s useful if you can demonstrate where you’ve instigated ideas or strategies which have come to reality
• You’ll need still to be comfortable building your own models and analysis, in addition to reviewing your team’s outputs and working on the strategic aspect
• It’s likely that the successful candidate will be aiming to work their way through to a Finance Director or Commercial Director post in the longer-term and this role could prove a useful stepping stone
The role will pay £70-80,000 with a bonus and LTIP.