Financial Controller | High-growth SME | Technology sector | Private equity-backed | Manchester
Axon Moore is exclusively representing a high growth, private equity-backed technology businesses based in Manchester as they look to appoint a Financial Controller.
Following private equity investment, there is a newly appointed leadership team with ambitious growth plans and a real desire to drive value creation through finance-led reporting and insight. Working closely under the CFO, the Financial Controller will be responsible for the management of the business’ core finance and reporting outputs, further developing a high calibre finance function in anticipation of a potential PE exit, working closely with the executive team.
A key component of this role will be to identify opportunities for improvement and will then require a “hands on” approach to drive resulting projects. The successful candidate will be required to work strategically with senior stakeholders whilst also be across the detail, developing a strong understanding of the business.
We are looking to appoint a candidate who is on an upwards trajectory in their career and seeking an opportunity to be part of a business success story that results in a private equity-exit inside 2 years. As a result, this role will provide the opportunity to personally develop a long list of achievements in a short space of time and could be a perfect stepping stone to a PE/SME director level role in the near future. The role holder will:
- Review the month end management accounts and board packs
- Forecast profit and loss
- Develop management information and KPIs
- Perform analysis and provide advice to management team
- Cash flow forecasting, analysis and budgeting
- Financial accounts preparation
- External audit liaison
- Ensure that financial controls are in place & maintained.
- Contribute to improving current processes and systems
- Support the CFO in preparing for, and then delivering, a private equity exit
- Act as a deputy to the CFO on accounting and reporting matters
- Manage and mentor a team of management accountants and transactional finance
- Work with business stakeholders to Board level
Whilst support will be provided to grow in to the role, working alongside a high calibre and motivated executive team under the mentorship of the new CFO and Commercial Director, it is essential that the successful candidate is motivated by value creation and is excited by an entrepreneurial and fast paced environment.
With these factors in mind, the role will suit a high calibre, ambitious and adaptable accountant with excellent technical skills and a strong desire to drive improvements in reporting, processes and controls as well as wider business improvements. Although not essential, a technical grounding gained in practice would be an advantage, having either progressed to Manager level or gained experience in a reporting role in industry already. Exposure to an SME/private equity-backed environment would also be a distinct advantage.